Day care for the older person
...and so much more
The building was greatly enlarged in 1920 as a memorial to those who died in the Great War and a new wing was opened on Wednesday 11th May 1921 by Lady Florence Willoughby, accompanied by her husband Colonel Claud Willoughby, MP for the constituency. The improvements included 2 new wards, one with four beds for women on the ground floor and a similar room upstairs for men. Each had an adjoining room for nurses in attendance, a lavatory and bathroom while a large room downstairs was adapted for use by private patients. There was also a flat for matron and additional staff accommodation.
The Butterfield continued to provide a valuable medical service for the town and public opinion helped it survive several attempts at closure. But financial constraints and a streamlining of the NHS eventually sounded the death knell and it closed in 1983.
The Butterfield Centre is a registered charity managed by a board of Trustees in premises leased from Lincolnshire County Council. It is a “not for profit” organisation, run in accordance with the financial and statutory requirements of the Charity Commission.
Established in 1985, its aim is to provide a range of day care and outreach services to the elderly and vulnerable people of Bourne and district to enable the clients to live, independently, in their own homes for as long as possible.
The Butterfield Centre was originally a house called Brooklands, which had been the home of Mr Joseph Butterfield who had moved from Yorkshire some years before and bequeathed the house to the town in his will on the condition that it should be devoted to the relief of suffering.
It was decided that the house should be used as a cottage hospital and the Countess of Ancaster performed the official opening ceremony on 28th June 1910. The hospital became a valued medical amenity for the town and district.